The snow has melted. The birds are chirping. The temperatures are rising. And the daffodils are blooming! Hooray - spring has finally sprung!
And taking a few minutes for a spring checkup of your home will help keep it in top condition. Here are a few tips.
1. As the snow melted, your sump pump worked harder to keep water away from your foundation. These few steps will help it do its job:
- Make sure that the sump discharge is directed away from the house.
- Clean out any debris that has accumulated in the sump pump crock, and lift the float on the pump to run it, making sure that water is in the hole first. If your pump makes an extreme amount of grinding noise, a replacement pump may be warranted. We recommend keeping a spare pump available if you should need it.
- Fill any low areas next to the foundation to direct drainage away from the house.
- Make sure that your downspouts are directed away from the foundation and are free and clean of debris.
2. Remove debris from gutters. Better yet, have it removed by a professional who is accustomed to ladders. Also, the weight of snow and ice can cause gutters to loosen. Check to make sure they are tight.
3. Grab your binoculars and take a good look at your roof for any cracked, loose or missing shingles.
4. Furnaces work hard to keep us warm in the winter. Be sure to change your filter (regularly!).
Happy Spring from all of us at Ann Arbor Builders!
- Betsy de Parry, VP, Sales and Marketing, (734) 216-5872 or email@example.com